Monday, August 25, 2008

So Long, Stair Well

Finally got the railing to the stair well finished.

The circular rails were made from .045 brass rod. I prepared them prior to bending via a process called annealing. I heated the brass with a small butane torch and then quenched them in water. This made the brass much more malleable than its original state. I bent it easily around a 1" wooden dowel. After drilling out the support pieces I threaded the rings through and CA'd them to the deck.

For the spiral staircase well the CR instructions recommend a 1" id clear acrylic tube. I couldn't find one in the local hobby shops or hardware stores so I opted for the next best thing: a 1 1/4" PVC end cap. I sprayed the interior flat black, drilled a hole in the bottom for the brass rod center support and glued it to the underside of the deck with 5-minute epoxy.

As an side, I'm really getting used to the quick cure epoxy -- apart from the smell. It sets up fast with a strong bond. For static builds it's great. I realize now how prejudiced against it my r/c past had made me -- 5-minute epoxy not being waterproof. But I'm using it more and more as I go.

The rails were completed with two sections connecting the rings to the center pole. CR recommends a 1/8" diameter rod for the pole. But to me it looked too thick so I traded down a size or two.

The ball on top of the pole is a 4mm gold bead from the fabric store. I filled the center with a small length of brass rod. I left the center pole in unpolished brass, along with the rails. I think it looks better (the pole and stairs were painted in the movie). I brushed the white metal rail supports with gold enamel.

I've got to say this step was one of the most tedious of the build. And super close images show where the rails and supports are out of alignment. However, with the wheelhouse covering it the flaws will be very difficult to see through the windows. I'm satisfied with the look.

Next stop is the helm rail. Will it be easier or worse...?

0 comments:

 

About Me

The first movie I saw in a theater was Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (1971 re-release). The first grown-up book I read was "War Fish" by George Grider. Built hundreds of plastic kits growing up. Saw an article on The SubCommittee in the mid 90's and joined. Began first foray into radio controlled subs in 1998.

Current Projects

1/32 scale Disney Nautilus (Custom Replicas kit).
1/96 scale USS Helena (SSN-725) (ThorDesign kit).
1/72 scale USS Permit-class (HMK kit)

Completed Boats

1/96 scale Permit-class modeled as USS Thresher (SSN-593).
1/96 scale Los Angeles-class modeled as USS Jefferson City (SSN-759).

R/C Sublog Copyright © 2010 | Community is Designed by Bie Blogger Template