Sunday, February 05, 2006

Scoop Redux

The two larger, flat scoops on either side of the bow near the keel were reworked next. While they were cast with a recessed area to depict the inlet, it is pretty shallow. The part also has a flange across the bottom of the opening, and a rather thick riveted flange surrounding the part, which I wished to modify. To begin, I cut away the flange across the hull side of the scoop opening. Then I ground out the scoop area with a Dremel, like I did with the smaller scoops, to produce a more pronounced recess.













I then used the belt sander to shave down the back side of the piece where it contacts the hull to give the flange a thinner profile.
















Here you can see the reworked scoop in comparison to the stock scoop. The inlet is now much more concave.














This profile view contrasts the thickness of the flange area before and after.
















Next, I placed the part in position on the hull and traced around it. A thin knife blade was used to shave off the rivet heads where the scoop touches the hull. I was careful to leave untouched the rivets which can be seen inside the scoop.














The finished part in position. The additional depth, and especially the second row of rivets in the scoop area, are really pleasing to the eye. To me, it looks more funtional this way.
















Will opening up these parts increase the parasitic drag on the boat while underway? Sure. But I'm not building it for high performance submerged runs. My operational goals, based on the movie, can best be described as "stately". And, like with most model boats, I'll probably spend more time looking at it than actually driving it.

0 comments:

 

About Me

The first movie I saw in a theater was Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (1971 re-release). The first grown-up book I read was "War Fish" by George Grider. Built hundreds of plastic kits growing up. Saw an article on The SubCommittee in the mid 90's and joined. Began first foray into radio controlled subs in 1998.

Current Projects

1/32 scale Disney Nautilus (Custom Replicas kit).
1/96 scale USS Helena (SSN-725) (ThorDesign kit).
1/72 scale USS Permit-class (HMK kit)

Completed Boats

1/96 scale Permit-class modeled as USS Thresher (SSN-593).
1/96 scale Los Angeles-class modeled as USS Jefferson City (SSN-759).

R/C Sublog Copyright © 2010 | Community is Designed by Bie Blogger Template